Thursday, September 26, 2019

Ideas for Squads/Conversions

I picked up a couple of Reaper things since for a while I was walking around with a few Wolfmother songs in my brain. I got a Female Efreet since I couldn't find a nature giantess for Colossal Girl. And I made a thief for myself from kitbashed bits n pieces (Imperial stuff, I guess, and a couple of things from the Frostgrave cultist set) for "Joker and The Thief" and up in the air about a Joker character from say Knight Games or else maybe just a classical harlequin or something...

Anyway, it got me thinking - playing around with my 3d printer has just about killed my need to buy 40k stuff, since effectively I could print, in a long time I suppose, whatever 40k figs or terrain or might want. I was sort of thinking about doing some vehicles but, probably, I will never again play 40k. I just don't have the taste for Grimdark anymore. Too much real fascism in my country these days for the bullshit fake small-f-fascism of the Imperium to appeal to me. And, I reflect, I have rarely had a good time playing 40k. I have had a good time HANGING OUT and playing 40k also, but it's not the 40k that was fun about those times. In fact, 40k is only my jam at about 500-1000 points and for that, I'd rather be playing Necromunda, and for that, I'd probably rather be playing something fast and sensible like Frostgrave. I dig the "desperate troops and last stands" of 40k more than the lantern-jawed-Ubermenschen they've become. I mean, you won't see any tubby SM getting blown away by pirate orky weirdboys, these days. Too serious by half again, wot

If GW wanted to kill it for me, they'd introduce some solo style rules for when I'm bored and tired but can't sleep. I KNOW I KNOW, I said that a new Necromunda would sell it to me, but they took all the wry irony and self-awareness out (no shit I find the tedious I JUST WANT TO PLAY NO POLITICS of the s/Necromunda to be piteous in the extreme)

I don't know.

Ideas for conversions - Miyazaki. I mean, have you seen the Temekulans? They were Spess Mureens before there were any. Just need a rounded conical helmet and cloaks and BOOM. I'm struck, now, by how much I was influenced in my late childhood by Excalibur, Knight Riders, and Warriors of The Wind. It's probably down to Miyazaki that I even like 40k!

Also, Stardew Valley - I just literally saw a Pig Cart painted up on reddit at lunch. The backstory of the wars that is hinted at in the game is fascinating to me.

I been reading a lot of Gang War NYC, and Last Days (made a review here, once, and it sits better with me the more I read it) and seems to me that a good thing would be side-plot cards for just about any game you might think of. I think the most interesting situations in 40k arose for me when we used Mysterious Objectives

Anyway, just getting this out of my noodle since I'm bored

I also got a couple of Blackwolf the Wizard's troops (including Necron 99) coming from my buddy Brian, who works the booth for Wee Wolf minis. He may BE Wee Wolf minis, but that's like saying Peter Parker may be Batman...

So I picked up some savage orc thugs from ebay and I will edo those up like Scortch-colored emutants. Need some viking style elves as opponents, but I got a lot of stuff on the back burner these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy 'The Hounds' - Click Here