Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Generative Music and Dungeons

Man, I really dig setting the lad on overdrive with a loose plan in his head and seeing what comes shaking out. So, like "dungeons" are out, yeah? Meaning: I'm not really feeling it anymore. I mean who knows what I could have accomplished in this life if I hadn't come across Creepy Gary and Pervy Brian in the hallway at Faith Lutheran Elementary School in Hialeah, Miami, circa 1982? What if I hadn't spent 35 years of my life literally daydreaming about finding treasure guarded by dinosaurs in holes in the dirt?

Could I have, say, learned to play the piano? Or the guitar? or fucked around with electronics? Well, I don't know. See: DnD was always a relatively cheap hobby. I was always asthmatic and injured. When I wasn't dissociating from shitty circumstances, retreating into my own Id, I was going to school, doing shitty jobs, drinking, smoking, coffeeing up. Always tired or getting tired and fixing it with stimulants. When it was quiet: Dungeons. Dragons. Dead wizards.

So like, I incorporated my old wargaming blog (The Lasrifle and Crowquill, you may remember! or not!) into this one, and rather than just DnD, and wargames, and etc. gaming stuff, Imma hit you all up with my #DIYsynth #ambientnoise #evilrituals #demonsummoning type thing. I like to build stuff with my hands and frankly groping around in the dark is only fun as a prelude to smooching etc for me.

So far, I got a weird box of Evil Noise. Which is fun. I got a couple of guitar pedals to go with my second hand Fender knockoffs. I got a bunch of #diy electronics supplies like a soldering iron and chips and wires n resistors n potentiometers. I got a DIY pedal en route from Europa, an 8-Bitar from parasit studios

In the works at the moment are a couple of oscillators, and (the star of my personal soul-show) a Circuit-Bent Speak n Spell, otherwise known as an Incantor. Also, I think I got a line to my wife's old Commodore 64 and I will (sacreligiously) plunder it for the noise chip inside it. Probably.

...this all in addition to a great number of toy and real musical instruments and some VST instruments and effects, with the addition of Audition and a copy of Reaper and some other digital audio workstations.

Me n Carl B have been talking about "Dungeonsynth" which many people do not necesssssarily know is a thing. My favorite of the genre is Kobold HDK 07 - Curse of the Ancient Abbey, since it hits me in the C64/Red Box D&D feels


So ask Carl B what his recent foray into DungeonSynth has been maybe he kin release it (I had a taste of the pre-release mix and it's gooood), and I heard Donn Stroud's old album, too, and if making musics like this isn't your cuppa tea, then like: that's cool. Hey man, let's explore our other areas of interest together and if tangentially they hit on Dungeons, or Dragons, or burning Wizards to cinders, then cool. I got a (probably trademark infractioning) home page for my magickal musickal endeavors down the road, too.


Remind me to find the .midi files for Wizards of Wor, btw

Some generative dungeon-sploring music for you (not mine):


If you add "d3 Androids led by 1 3rd Level Android Warrior" to any dungeon generator, you're getting legit, broh. Hold on I'll generate you a cool 10-room dungeon to while away your hours while you listen to these phat tracks, yo.

10 GENERATE DUNGEON
20 INPUT "WHAT DO YOU WISH TO DO NOW?";A$
30 GOTO 10

FREE DUNGEON: THE CRYSTAL OF THE LONELY ANDROID
n.b. map not included but check out Dyson's patreon or #DIY
(interesting side note: this is unedited produced by my Tablesmith file)
the subtypes are additional modifiers to creatures to weird out players and keep them on their toes

1. 7 Stirges subtype Crystal guard Potion of Invulnerability and Cigarette Lighter Functions on 1-4 in 20. The treasure is in aluminum gear crates.

2. This room has a weapon racks that contain 3 ancient mono-scimitars.

3. A matter replicator device, containing antique coins worth 1685 GP . The treasure is loose and safeguarded with spears released from walls when container opened.

4. The room contains Janni subtype Ghoul and a thick spiderwebs.

5. The room contains Ogre subtype Flesh and a Poisoned Arrow Trap. The party sustains d20+5 attacks that do 1d6 damage and a random DC 15 poison.

6. The room contains 1 Drow Elves subtype Frost and a Radiation Field Projector, forcing a DC 14 Constitution save or victim gains random major corruption.

7. This small room includes a Robodoc terminal.

8. A Nanoalchemicobot Infestation will turn all metal items to powdery rust keeps the 1410 GP safeguarded.

9. 1 Androids guard antique coins worth 1773 GP . The treasure is scattered on the floor.

10. There is a force field that constrains Seven-Headed Hydra (Pyro- Or Cryo-) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy 'The Hounds' - Click Here