Friday, June 5, 2015

Classic vs Recent Figs

I got a bunch of old Genestealers in the mail from eBay, the kind of thing that I get all twitterpated about since it was such a steal. In went the worst of the bunch into the piney, briny drink to get rid of what appears to have been a coat of light blue Testors or some really thick and chunky acrylic paint.

Some interesting things stand out right away.  These GS are blue-green on the insides; maybe signifying from an old edition of Space Hulk or something, I'm not exactly clear.  Also, I dig the movement of the newer ones but the older ones have a charm and stick out in fun ways (the tail protrudes instead of laying flat against the leg). The older ones are a little chunkier and more compact and have cooler greebles, IMHO




Also, this paint job is probably about on par with what I am able to do a couple years ago without dissemination into my brain-zone of key painting memes, and I actually like the splotchiness of it.


Anyway, probably going to try a black undercoat and hit it with some directional two-tone and a bunch of washes to build it up. I'm a classical, conservative Purist when it comes to coloration on these, as I think I have stated in the past. I might try to give them a little more on-purpose mottling and veins and such.  If I don't paint the 2 catachan squads up as tainted Traitors, then it's going to be all Dug-In Claw-to-Claw action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy 'The Hounds' - Click Here